Holy Trinity Church

The Holy Trinity in Gosport has probably the most beautiful interior in the south of England, its white walls and barrel-arch ceiling serving as the perfect foil for the marble of the high altar, with its eighteenth century reredos (see above) painted by Floyce, and for the soaring pipes and baroque casing of Handel’s famous organ. The nave is dominated by two rows of seven Ionic columns, which encase the 14 oak trees that support the roof.

Holy Trinity was consecrated in September 1696 by the Bishop of Winchester Peter Mews – who gave the oak trees to the church. In the eighteenth century, the west facade was enhanced and the east end extended to incorporate a semi-dome supported on pilasters with intricate Roman detailing.

The church’s greatest treasure is the Handel organ. From 1718-1720, Handel was director of music to James Brydges, Duke of Chandos, and commissioned the building of this organ for the Duke’s new house on the Canons estate at Edgware, Middlesex.Canons was demolished in 1744 after the death of the Duke and its materials auctioned. Holy Trinity paid £117 for the organ. It was originally installed in the west gallery and moved to its present position in 1867.

Related Video Clips
No Video available
Related Photo Galleries
Holy Trinity Church and Handel Organ, Gosport
Related Web Links

Share this page