Stansted Park is situated on the Hampshire and Sussex boarder and is set in 1700 acres of ancient forest. The houses state rooms and servantsí quarters are open to the public with volunteers on hand to answer any questions. At Stanstead Park are:
Stanstead House, The Chapel of St Paul, Farm Shop, Garden Centre, Light Railway and Pavilion Tea Rooms.
The history of Stanstead House dates from the time when Stanstead Park was a hunting lodge in the ancient forest of Arundel about 800 years ago.
In 1181 the first recorded dwelling was erected. In 1924 Stanstead Park was bought by Vere Ponsoby the 9th Earl of Bessborough and in 1983 the Stanstead Park Foundation was set up to manage the park with Myles Ponsnby being its chair. The house was last lived in by the Earl of Bessborough in 1993.
When visiting you get to take in the splendour of; the main hall, library, stairway hall, dining room , music room and blue drawing room before heading below stairs to visit the servants quarters including; the butler's quarters, footman's quarters and cellar, crypt, servants' hall, housekeepers sitting room, still room, china pantry and old kitchen
The Chapel of St Paul is also well worth a visit and dates back to the 15th century.