110 High Street in Old Portsmouth started out life as the Royal Marine Artillery Officerís Mess. It was built in the gardens at the rear of 109 and 110 High Street Old Portsmouth in 1827. The main houses had been purchased in 1825 by the Lordís Commissions of the Admiralty as the RMA HQ buildings.
When the RMA moved to Eastney Barracks the buildings at 109 and 110 were sold. Phoenix Lodge acquired a tenancy of the former mess rooms in 1842 for an annual rent of £25 with access through a tunnel through 110. The rooms comprised of what was the dining room on the ground floor, a kitchen on the North Eastern side and an entrance hall with a winding staircase in the Georgian style which led to two small anterooms then to the Lodge Room.